Retro shirt with vintage fabric

Retro shirt with vintage fabric

  Today I want to take a break from the #1year1outfit challenge I’m doing and show you the new shirt I made my husband last week. I have more than a few unblogged garments, but I just couldn’t wait to show you this one. This shirt is somewhat special, as the fabric for it was given to me by our neighbours sister, an 80 year old lady. The fabric is a printed cotton she got from her mother after she died. I have no idea how old the fabric it self is, but it’s a rather thin printed cotton fabric with a nice and soft handfeel. My husband took a liking to the fabric straight away, and asked if I could make him a shirt from it. And of course I could. Pattern trouble I used the same pattern I have used for all his previous shirts. It’s a pattern I drafted for him maybe 8 years ago, and it seems that he has changed a lot in size. Either that, or I have just gotten a lot better at spotting fitting mistakes, because I struggled a lot with the fit across the shoulders and upper arms. In fact it annoyed me so much that I have now purchased the Negroni shirt pattern from Colettes Patterns in the hopes that it will fit better, or at least be a better starting point than my current pattern (This was two days prior to the release of the new Thread Theory shirt pattern, otherwise I might have[…]

Lace Camas blouse

Lace Camas blouse

After participating in the Camas Sew-along on the Thread Theory blog, I knew I had blog about the finished blouse right away. I have several other garments all ready to be photographed and blogged, but this had to come first. Making a Camas Blouse I’ve had the Camas pattern in my pattern collection for a while. I bought it not long after it was published in their web shop, and as I’m not too fond of pdf’s (especially the taping of the numerous pages) I bought the printed version. I’m a regular reader of the Thread Theory blog and got really inspired when I discovered they were doing a sew-along on the blouse. After rummaging around in my stash for a suitable muslin fabric I came across a small piece of white viscose left after my cartoon dress. I figured it would be just about enough fabric for a muslin for the blouse. The pattern changes. I started by doing my regular pattern changes. My starting point was a straight size 10, and my usual adjustments includs a forward tilting shoulders adjustment, a lengthening of the torso by 4 cm and the sleeves by 1,5 cm. And the ever present sway back adjustment. After reading the sew-along piece about pattern adjustments for using woven fabric I also adjusted the width of the sleeves to better fit my biceps (sleeve changing methode 1 at the bottom of this blogpost).   Making up as you go along I don’t know about you guys, but I usually get[…]

Silk Sencha blouse

Silk Sencha blouse

Hi and welcome. Today I have a real treat for you. A blouse I made early in 2014. A blouse in a beautiful red, sandwashed silk. This blouse has been one of my favourite tops to wear this last year. This silk blouse was my second encounter with the slippery’est of silks – charmeuse. This particular silk was bought at Stoff&Stil, and the quality seems to be ok. The blouse pattern The pattern I used was the Sencha blouse from Colette Patterns. I bought the pattern because I thought it looked cute, and that it would make a nice “office” blouse. I decided to go for the version 2, with neck darts and buttoned back. Making a muslin Before cutting into my silk I decided to make a muslin. I took some cheap cotton canvas and made a sample to check the fit. The fabric wasn’t the best of choices, as the it had close to no drape at all. The result was less than flattering to say the least. This sort of put me off, as I wasn’t quite sure how to fix the issues I found. But in the end I decided to go for it anyways. And I’m so glad I did. The changes I made to the pattern. I’m a swayback person, and the lower back is the one place I have to change for (almost) all patterns I make. For this pattern it was pretty easy. I just used the same darts at the back as on the front. The second change I made was to widen[…]