Retro shirt with vintage fabric

Retro shirt with vintage fabric

  Today I want to take a break from the #1year1outfit challenge I’m doing and show you the new shirt I made my husband last week. I have more than a few unblogged garments, but I just couldn’t wait to show you this one. This shirt is somewhat special, as the fabric for it was given to me by our neighbours sister, an 80 year old lady. The fabric is a printed cotton she got from her mother after she died. I have no idea how old the fabric it self is, but it’s a rather thin printed cotton fabric with a nice and soft handfeel. My husband took a liking to the fabric straight away, and asked if I could make him a shirt from it. And of course I could. Pattern trouble I used the same pattern I have used for all his previous shirts. It’s a pattern I drafted for him maybe 8 years ago, and it seems that he has changed a lot in size. Either that, or I have just gotten a lot better at spotting fitting mistakes, because I struggled a lot with the fit across the shoulders and upper arms. In fact it annoyed me so much that I have now purchased the Negroni shirt pattern from Colettes Patterns in the hopes that it will fit better, or at least be a better starting point than my current pattern (This was two days prior to the release of the new Thread Theory shirt pattern, otherwise I might have[…]

Bright red Moneta Dress

Bright red Moneta Dress

Hi again This time I have a fairly simple dress to show you: My super comfy, bright red Moneta Dress from Colette Patterns.     I have made the Moneta Dress pattern several times before. It’s my go-to-pattern for staple dresses. They are so quick to sew up, and so comfortable to wear, and I love the fact that they got pockets. I love to have pockets in my dresses.   Before making this Moneta dress though, I tried to put together one i striped jersey; just using my regular pattern pieces, and discovered to my horror that it came out way too small -I’m talking two whole sizes too small. Apparently I have gained a bit of weight (And also the striped jersey had very little stretch). So, there was nothing for it, I had to retrace the pattern in a bigger size (M this time). -and of course do all my regular adjustments once again. But because I’m a lazy woman I only retraced the bodice pattern pieces and reused my old skirt pattern pieces. It means a tiny bit less flare, but no big deal. I have a few standard adjustments that I always have to do. These are: lengthening the bodice by 4 cm, adjusting for forward tilting shoulders, and a swayback adjustment. But, because I always do them I didn’t mock up a sample afterwards. I more or less knew how the fit would be. (If you look at the photo of the back you might notice that the sway back[…]