My finished biker jacket!

My finished biker jacket!

My finished biker jacket! Finally. I have attached the cuffs and sewed the opening in the lining, and now I’m done. Heres a brief account of some of the troubles I had in making this jacket, in addition to photos of the finished garment of course. The two post I made on the progress you can find here and here.  First times second This is the first time I make a lined jacket, and the second time I’ve sewn any jacket at all. The first time was the velvet jacket I made on Det Store Symesterskapet last week. You can read about that one here, but for now lets focus on the biker jacket at hand. Pattern corrections As I said, -first time I made a fully lined jacket. The pattern I used wasn’t really that good for the task, as it was meant as a thin summer jacket style in raw silk as I told you about in my first “in progress” posting on the project. I used the next largest size (40) when making my toile, and as expected it proved too small. Not always so easy to listen to ones inner self. 😉 Instead of then tracing the the biggest size, as I should have, I decided to go with the size I had already cut out and enlarge it. I made a real hack’n’slash job out of it I’m afraid, and of course then the fit proved to be rather less than desirable once assembled. For one, I made it way too big. Corrections, more corrections I took[…]

Biker jacket in the make. Part 2

Biker jacket in the make. Part 2

Hi there. Here is an update on my Biker jacket project. Zipper stuck Last time I wrote about my biker jacket project I was stuck because I hadn’t bought a long enough zipper. I went back to Stoff & Stil the other day, and got a longer one. -This time too long! What do you give me. Well, it turned out they didn’t have the correct length in the zipper I wanted, so I bought one that was approx. 5 cm longer than what I needed, and shortened it with pliers (yes, it can be done! Even if I didn’t think so only about a week ago). I found an tutorial on how to do this in a magazine I bought last month, but you can probably find out how to do it on-line too.   Progress I’m slowly making progress on the jacket. I decided to make shoulder patches instead of the shoulder flaps and loops in the original pattern. I cut out roughly the correct shape to the patches and went on my merry way, without stopping and considering whether the patches needed padding. When I begun to top-stitch channels in the PU patches I still hadn’t thought about it. But then I asked my husband what he thought about my work so far and he pointed out to me that the patches looked very flat. Oh no. I forgot padding. Doh.   Getting creative I am an creative person, for better or worse. But when it’s coming up with creative solutions to a problem, I usually[…]

Biker jacket in the make. Part 1

Biker jacket in the make. Part 1

I want to share an ongoing make with you today. A project that is taking a bit longer than first imagined. The fabric A few years ago I got into my hands 3-4 meters of a flowered upholstery fabric from Italy. It is rather old, but still nice, and not smelly ( until I took the iron to it, that is). I thought right away that I wanted to make a jacket with this fabric, event if it originally was meant for sofas and such like. It has a beautiful classic flower pattern woven into the weave, and a good thickness to it. I took it home and put it in my fabric stash and forgot all about it.. That is, until this autumn.   Biker jacket Browsing the web I found a rather nice biker jacket style on Burdastyle.com. The style is called Silk Motorcycle Jacket 03/2012 #115, and looks like this: I usually think that it’s the styling that makes the models on the Burda site look good, and not necessary the cut or the style, but I wanted to try it out. I purchased the PDF pattern, printed and assembled it, and THEN started to think about what fabric I wanted to use -and whether I had one in my stash (I’m not always logical, I know, but what can you do ). When checking around what I had available at home I found my flower upholstery fabric again, and a firmer plan started taking shape. Considering the thickness of the fabric it[…]