I haven’t been blogging much lately, but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been sewing. I have quite a backlog of garments I want to show you. And I’ll start with the newest garment I made: a pair of pants for my husbands birthday:
Jutland pants from Thread Theory.
I have previous made him a pair of Jutland pants, -my first sewing project in 2015, and still unblogged (shame on me). That time I made version 1 and as it was winter, I lined them as well. They turned out ok, but are far from his favourite pants.
This time he wanted me to make V2 view, but after we discussed it a bit, we decided that I wouldn’t use the actual Jutland pants pattern pieces, but that of Burda 7022 instead. The reason being that these were a much better fit, and it meant that I didn’t have to use a lot of time adjusting the fit of the Jutland. Of course that would have been fine too, but would take longer. And I really wanted to make this a quick project – or as quick you can when you are talking about trousers with lots of pockets and reinforcements. They were for his birthday after all.
So, the pant pattern itself is Burda, but all the details are from the Jutland pants, and I also followed the instructions from Thread Theory. I found them to be clear and easy to follow.
And in other details
The fabric used is something I got from work. It was otherwise going to be thrown away, which would have been a great shame. It’s a most sturdy and good quality ripstop, and also water repellent and flame retardant. Actually, it dulled two of my three scissors cutting out the pattern pieces. Talk about one sturdy fabric. Even so, it has a soft handfeel and is nice to the skin.
I don’t have much time to sew in my everyday life, with a fulltime job and two kids. At best I get two-three hours at night when the kids are in bed. And a little more on the weekends when I’m not at work all day. This means that it took me about 3-4 days to make these pants when I made them over a weekend.
For the pockets I took the time to cut out templates in cardboard. These I used when ironing the pockets into shape. It’s an easy and foolproof way to get the pockets to be the same size. After all you never know if you cut them exactly the same, even if you tried your best. I especially like how the thigh pockets turned out.
Gütermann Mara 70
For thread I used a 100% polyester Gütermann Mara 70 thread I bought from Willy’s syrom. It is perfect for this kind of project. Sturdy and a bit shiny. And for this project it was a bit darker than the khaki coloured fabric, but a good match no the less.
I have several meters more of the fabric, so there might be more trousers for him in the future. We’ll see once he has settled into this pair.