The dress I want to show you today, is one I made earlier this Autumn. I came across this cartoon fabric in a textile store in Fredrikstad, and just had to have it.
It’s a rather thin cotton jersey or maybe viscose, but the important thing for me was the print – Black and white cartoon squares taken from several cartoons I used to read in my teens. Among them: Modesty Blaise. So basically, this dress is a grown up version of some of the t-shirts and dresses I’ve made for my kids the last year.
Burda 7580 knit dress
Because the fabric was such a lightweight jersey, I knew straight away that I needed to line the dress. So I bought some plain, white jersey at the same time. I even found the pattern in the same store.
The pattern is Burda 7580 -an “easy pattern” with only two pattern pieces: One front and one back. I believe the pattern is meant for more heavy weight knits, and I’m sure that would suit the shape very well too. Here is how the pattern looks on the envelope.
The regular adjustments
I made my regular changes to the flat pattern: which is to lengthen the torso and do a sway back adjustment, and also the forward tilted shoulder adjustment. In this kind of loose dress I decided that I didn’t bother to make up a muslin. And truth be told I would have had enough fabric left to do up another one in the same fabric should I’ve made a complete mess of it. However, I didn’t. It was a bit big when I tried it on though, even with the lining and all, so I took it in a fair bit at the side seams from just below the armhole arch and almost down to the hem.
To make the dress a little bit more “together” I added a solid black panel at the bottom, and trimmed the sleeves with the same black cotton jersey. I thinks this gave the dress a nice finished look. In hindsight I wish I had put in some side seam pockets too. – I did think about it when putting it together. I don’t like handbags much, and besides, you don’t use those indoors. So, there isn’t anywhere to put my phone. But, on the other hand, the dress probably wouldn’t have looked as good with a bulky cellphone in one pocket – messing with the styles lines and the symmetry.
It’s too bad that I’m wearing a scarf in these photos. It means you can’t really see the nicely shaped boat neck. But it was a cold day, so I will forgive myself for the slip up. -I only took off my coat to take these photos, as I think it was maybe 10 degrees Celsius that day.
All in all the dress was a quick make -even with the lining, and I was done in one or two evenings. I can’t really remember any more. And in any case I usually only get an hour or two without interruptions from one of the kids.
The finished dress is comfortable to wear, and the print is fun.Also, it’s a dress that gets a lot of attention, which I love (one the right days when I’m feeling up for it, that is).
And a bit to be desired..
I’m sorry to say that the colour fastness is a bit less than desired, but nothing I can do about that now. If you happen upon the fabric, and buy it, I recommend washing the fabric with salt, and maybe a vinegar rinse as a pretreatment. It might fasten the colour better.
I have worn this dress a lot the last month, but as it’s a bit shapeless at the waist I plan on making a jersey belt in the black fabric to wear with it and give it some definition at the waist. I have even bought D-rings to use for this very purpose.