Again I have made a garment for my husband, my biggest sewing fan and forever in need of soft and nice wool garments he knows I can make him. Today I want you to meet the navy blue wool Homeboy Hoodie..
This is not the first time I have made a hoodie, but the first I have made one for my husband. If you followed the Symesterskapet on NRK last year you will have seen me making this beauty in the first episode:
Compared to that, this hoodie was a joy to sew. It was fast and easy, and I needed to do just one minimal change. But first things first. Let’s start with the pattern.
After seeing the hoodie Joost made on Instragram I decided to try his pattern. He runs the site MakeMyPattern, which generate patterns for you based on the measurements you type in. He is also generously offering up his patterns for free, but accepts donations to his site. The pattern I used is the Homeboy Hoodie, the first pattern of his that I have tried. I followed the instructions and punched in my husbands measurements, and the pattern was generated as a pdf I could print. Even with failing ink in my printer I got the pattern together fairly quickly, as there isn’t that many pattern pieces. I must also say that I like the way the pattern pieces are marked.
A wool fabric..
The fabric I chose for this project is an unbrushed college fabric in 100% wool. I bought the fabric at Janus Ull på Rull over a year ago, and put it aside to use for a hoodie ever since. The fabric I bought is not available any more, but this is more or less the same quality. I mostly used my overlocker for this project, as I always do with knits.
Making the hoodie
I didn’t want to muslin the pattern, so instead I started with machine basting the front back and sleeves together with a long straight stitch to check the fit. The fit was mostly good, and I only needed some small adjustments to the raglan seams at front and back. I basically made the raglan edge on the body and sleeve pieces more curved, taking out maybe 2 cm at the middle of the raglan seam and tapered out to nothing on both ends for all three pattern pieces. This took out a bit of excess fabric pooling up around the shoulders.
When the fit was adjusted I removed my basting stitches along the side seams and sewed the pocket to the front piece. Front pocket assembly is easier when you haven’t sewn up the side seams first. I then sewed the sleeves and side seams properly on my overlocker and lined and attached the hood. For drawstring holes for the hood I made regular button holes as I wasn’t sure I could get grommets to fasten well enough to the fabric and not fall out again. The fabric inside the hood is a striped cotton jersey that was left over after another project, and was the perfect size.
The wool fabric had enough stretch that I didn’t have to worry about finding a ribbing to match. I could simply use self fabric for sleeve cuffs and bottom hem. After the PDF pattern was put together and I had cut out all the pattern pieces in fabric I sewed the whole hoodie in about 2-3 hours -even without step by step instructions, so it was an easy and fun make to do.
My husband loves his new hoodie, and uses it as much as possible. There is only one thing he would change, and that is the pocket placement in front. For the next hoodie he wants me to deepen the front pocket all the way down to the hem. As it is now his phone or keys or whatever he puts in the pocket ends up right on his belly. Not comfortable, and not pretty. But as rating goes this is the most successful garment I have ever made him.
Although, the next Homeboy Hoodie I sew will probably be for myself. 😉