And here it is. The first blog post in 2016, but focusing on a make from December 2015. Last year was all about selfish sewing for me. The year before that too, come to think of it. Today I want to show you my second try at the pattern made from my RTW trousers that I blogged about back in November.
Favourite trousers 2.0
This time I used a dark blue wool twill, that has been in my stash for more than a year. I think I bought it on sale at Rainbow Tekstil in Oslo sometime before last winter.
I have already told you about how the pattern came to be here, but I can tell you what changes I did this time around. First of all I needed more space at the waist. If you remember the fly was less than elegantly sewn the last time, showing the zipper teeth at the top. So before sewing up the pattern once again I added a few cm at the waistband and waist to make sure I had enough space to cover the zipper properly. I also made the rise a little longer at the thigh to eliminate the pulling around the crotch. Even if it worked a bit, I think I will have to add another cm before I’m completely happy with the fit in this area. apparently I have big inner thighs. I also managed to get the grainline on the front pieces level this time, and the centre press line doesn’t twist of to the sides, as on the last pair.
Because I used wool for this pair I decided to line the trousers. I had a beautiful viscose lining in my stash, also blue, – and probably bought at the same time at the wool fabric. It was more or less a perfect match to the dark navy wool.
For the waistband lining I chose to use a different fabric. A scrap of mustard coloured woven silk I had left from a wedding dress muslin. The waistband is a story in it self. I first wanted the trousers to be easy to take in or out in the centre back seam, and sewed the waistband and the waistband lining right sides together and turned inside out. But then I started to line the rest of the trouser – which I had already put together, and discovered that I couldn’t do it the same way there because the seam was already joined in the outer fabric. But instead of doing the correct thing and unpick the seam I did a “short cut” and put the lining in like normal. The result is a rather silly construction in the centre back, but as it’s on the inside I’m the only one that will ever know (besides you, of course). I also sort of butched up the sewing the lining to the fly front. But again, it’s on the inside, and works well enough.
For front buttons I used vintage buttons from the stash I was so generously given by my sister in law, left her by her grandmother.
There are two things I dont’ like about the wool fabric though: It has already starting to pill, and in the dry indoor air it suck up every piece of lint that passes. Any yes, It shows that I’ve been using this trousers more than a bit prior to taking the pictures for this blog post.
The pictures this time are indoors ones. I have been reading Gillians blog series Better pictures project on Crafting A Rainbow for a while, and she recently had a guest blog post from What Katie Sews about taking better indoor pictures. This is my first try on indoor photography this winter. I takes a lot of thought effort and a lot of out-takes I can tell you. And a lot of light editing on my computer. But I ended up with at least some photos that are good. By an off chance I was home during the day the other day and jumped at the chance to use some natural indoor lighting.
I must say that I have used this trousers A LOT in the short time since I made them last month. I love how smooth and nice the lining makes them to put on, and how warm they are. At present we have about minus 13 degrees Celsius outside, and have been having those kind of temperatures for a week or so now. That makes it extra nice to wear wool, and wool only. No cotton trousers for me at this time of year.
I’ll end with a picture of how it looks outside my kitchen window. Makes you feel good about being inside doesn’t it.