Today I want to take a break from the #1year1outfit challenge I’m doing and show you the new shirt I made my husband last week. I have more than a few unblogged garments, but I just couldn’t wait to show you this one.
This shirt is somewhat special, as the fabric for it was given to me by our neighbours sister, an 80 year old lady. The fabric is a printed cotton she got from her mother after she died. I have no idea how old the fabric it self is, but it’s a rather thin printed cotton fabric with a nice and soft handfeel. My husband took a liking to the fabric straight away, and asked if I could make him a shirt from it. And of course I could.
I used the same pattern I have used for all his previous shirts. It’s a pattern I drafted for him maybe 8 years ago, and it seems that he has changed a lot in size. Either that, or I have just gotten a lot better at spotting fitting mistakes, because I struggled a lot with the fit across the shoulders and upper arms. In fact it annoyed me so much that I have now purchased the Negroni shirt pattern from Colettes Patterns in the hopes that it will fit better, or at least be a better starting point than my current pattern (This was two days prior to the release of the new Thread Theory shirt pattern, otherwise I might have gotten that one instead. I love all the Thread Theory patterns and own several.).
Back to this shirt.
Retro shirt with vintage fabric
To give the shirt some character, and maybe more of a 70’s retro vibe I used a leftover piece of corduroy fabric. It turned out to be just enough for the front and back yoke, the inner collar and collar stand, and on the underside of the pocket flaps. He also wanted contrasting top-stitching and pearl snap buttons. For the top-stitching I decided to use a Günterman Mara 70 tex thread in beige that worked out satisfyingly.
When I started out I wanted to flat fell all the seams, but after I had some trouble putting in the sleeves ( I had to rip out the sleeves three or four times, and I even redrafted the sleeves at one point). In the end there is still some pulling around the sleeve but hopefully they only annoy me, and no one else. I also just gave up on the flat felled seams and overlocked the sleeve cap seam. But with the top-stitching it still looks like a flat felled seam. The rest of the construction came together without much difficulty. I think maybe I used a week on the shirt, when I only worked on it a few hours in the evening each night.
My husband seems to be very happy with his new shirt, as he have been wearing it a lot since he got it. I take that as a good sign. I have maybe a meter left of the fabric, so there might be a matching shirt for my four year old son in the near (or not so near) future.
Also, as you can see from the photos that we’ve had some beautiful summer weather. It’s been unusually warm with 21 degrees C in the shade and sunshine all through the day the last few days. Perfect for taking photos of summer clothes. Even if I had some trouble making him stand still long enough for me to take some photos. So much to do, so much fun to be had..