I have just gotten my hands on some photos of the “statement skirt” I made on the first episode of Det Store Symesterskapet – the Norwegian version of “The great British Sewing Bee”, and I thought I would share them with you.
The patter is the Gabriola skirt from Sewaholic.
Some of you might know it from earlier. My version had to be short, so I cut of quite a lot of the length. The pattern consists of a lot of parts, and to make it as complicated as possible for myself, I made it in two layers -the bottom layer in slippery silk satin and the top layer in lace.
It was an experience fitting the skirt to a “live” model, as I have never done this before, but with a little research from my fitting book in advance it was quite straight forward. Luckily for me, my model had the same proportion as I do -though not my size. 🙂 This made the fitting a little easier too. In the end I ran out of time for the assignment and had to make the zipper in centre back a visible one, as you can see.
But all in all I was very happy about the result, although maybe it wasn’t really a “statement skirt”. Who knows.