Tonight they aired the second episode of “Det Store Symesterskapet”.
If you have seen the 2nd episode already you might have noticed that it went a little better for me this time. Below you will find a recap of the garments I sewed during the episode and my thoughts about them. If you haven’t seen the episode, I suggest you head over to nrk.no and see it before you read the rest. For the English speaking of you, I’m sorry to say the program haven’t been texted in English.
After the first episode we really thought we were finished with sewing elastics, but no. They had more in store for us in that department.
The first assignment we were given was to sew tights in 4 way stretch!!
I had never sewn tights before but thought it would be OK anyway, as I have sewn a lot in other stretch fabrics. My first thought was to use the overlock, but the overlock machine (or serger if you will)we were given was a lot different than the one I have at home, and I was afraid that the seams wouldn’t hold up if I used it. Ergo, I went with the regular sewing machine.
I found a really nice fabric I wanted to use, and cut it out. Then I made the mistake to cut out two right legs. I had decided to cut only single layers when first cutting out the pieces, and in my haste I forgot to turn the pattern before cutting the second leg. OK. So I had to go back and cut out one more leg -as most people like to have two legs in their tights. As I had used up the first fabric I had to find another fabric for the left leg, and I found one that could work. Second mistake was to not check the stretchiness in both directions before cutting out the leg this time. As a result the best stretch was now in length wise and not across. Doh.
Third mistake was to use to much seam allowance making the tights a size smaller than it should have been. Luckily for me there was one person on set that it fit, and she was a great sport putting it on and showing it off in front of the cameras. Thank you Anita!
The second assignment: Redesign
They gave us men’s shirts to remake into ladies dresses. I found a complimentary fabric I wanted to use, and used a big part of my time to shape the dress on the mannequin. Looking back I didn’t gain anything by it, and probably should have done something else. But I wanted to “safe it” a little and I didn’ t really have a super-great idea what to do. Not much else to say really. At least I didn’t come in last. 😉
I don’t have any photos of the dress, but if you are at Instagram you can search #symesterskapet and find photos from the show there.
The third assignment: jacket with creative pocket
I chose a pattern from Sewaholic patterns: The Cordova jacket. The time frame we were given was 4 hours and 45 minutes.
I must admit I have never sewn a jacket before this show, and thus decided to leave out the lining of the jacekt. I had a rather advanced fabric -a beautiful royal blue velvet from Rainbow Tekstil, with a nice body to it. I haven’t worked all that much with velvet, but I have worked a lot with it’s stretchy twin – velour. Also I had done my homework and knew what to do when working with the velvet fabric in terms of how to sew it and press it. One thing that did surprise me was how much it frayed. But according to the judges this is one of the major problems with sewing with velvet. And it was something that made them a little worried. They were afraid I had bitten over more than could chew and wouldn’t be able to deliver a jacket that looked nice because of the fraying.
Part of the job was to fit our jackets to the model, and this was one point I did very well.
I chose to use the view with two peplums and made a hidden double welt pocket on the lower peplum on one side. I originally intended to have two, but I messed up on first try, and had to be satisfied with only one, as I was pressed for time.
As I said I didn’t line the jacket. This was decided from the start, but if I were to make the jacket again at home, I would have given it a soft lining to make it even better to wear.
And as I were given the “masterpiece” with this jacket I can’t say anything other than that I’m super happy about the result!
I will leave you with a photo of six of the jackets together. Sadly Solveig’s jacket isn’t on this photo, but that too was really lovely.