It’s time to show you another make for my husband. I’m so lucky that I have a husband that’s proud of my hobby and all the time comes up with new projects he wants me to make.
Lately I love making clothes for him as he usually loves them and they get a lot of wear. Menswear presents other challenges for me, as they often are more classic and rule-bound. (I know Walter), there are exceptions, of course. 😉
This time he wanted me to make him a vest, or waistcoat if you will.
The pattern is Burda # 7799, that I bought through Fagert.se -one of the on-line pattern sites I like to order from. The pattern comes with several different views, but my man wanted the classic collar view (a). Taking the measurements and controlling the pattern pieces I decided to go down a size from the recommended, and made the smallest size.
Tracing the pattern I discovered that the pattern was without lining -something that’s fine if you make a denim style vest with topstitching, but just won’t do with a classic gentleman’s waistcoat in wool and satin. Making the lining wasn’t really a problem. The backside pieces I could just make in double set, and the front had a front facing. I traced the front piece one extra time and subtracted the shape of the front facing omitting the dart in the process. No need for a dart when it can be “lost” between the front lining and the front facing.
After sewing the darts and side/shoulder seams we did a fitting, and as always when it comes to my husband there were very few changes I need to make to get the desired fit. Only change I had to do was to lower the back neck drop with 3 cm.
The front pieces are made in a pinstriped dark grey wool fabric I bought during the annual sale at Rainbow Tekstil about a month ago. The backside is in a normal black polyester satin from my stash. Because I went down a size the vest was rather snug fitting, and there was no need for the buckle at the back. I deviated a little from the pattern for the pockets too. Instead of single welt pockets I made double welt pockets. This wasn’t really a conscious decision, but something I did out of refleks. I’m very fond of double welt pockets, as I think they are fun to sew, and look very stylish. For the buttons I found some old vintage glass buttons with a rounded top and the eye on the backside. I can’t remember exactly when I got them, but I think it was in a now closed, odd little second hand store in Drøbak, some years ago. I love these buttons and I think they gave the vest something extra, making it just that last level more stylish.
My husband wore the vest to the “JuleExpo” fair we went to a few weeks ago. So if you were there you might have seen it “live”.
So far he has worn it once or twice in addition to the fair, and he absolutely loves it.
Pattern: Burda #7799
Changes for next time:
The only changes I want to do is to make a broad back alteration -as I think it might prevent it riding up in the back neck. And I will add 3 cm shoulder length, as I think it’s a little narrow across the shoulders as well.
Oh, and the trousers…. I made those too. More on them in an upcoming posting.