Biker jacket in the make. Part 2

Biker jacket in the make. Part 2

Hi there. Here is an update on my Biker jacket project.

Zipper stuck

Last time I wrote about my biker jacket project I was stuck because I hadn’t bought a long enough zipper. I went back to Stoff & Stil the other day, and got a longer one. -This time too long! What do you give me. Well, it turned out they didn’t have the correct length in the zipper I wanted, so I bought one that was approx. 5 cm longer than what I needed, and shortened it with pliers (yes, it can be done! Even if I didn’t think so only about a week ago). I found an tutorial on how to do this in a magazine I bought last month, but you can probably find out how to do it on-line too.

 

Progress

I’m slowly making progress on the jacket. I decided to make shoulder patches instead of the shoulder flaps and loops in the original pattern. I cut out roughly the correct shape to the patches and went on my merry way, without stopping and considering whether the patches needed padding. When I begun to top-stitch channels in the PU patches I still hadn’t thought about it. But then I asked my husband what he thought about my work so far and he pointed out to me that the patches looked very flat. Oh no. I forgot padding. Doh.

 

Shoulder patch with no padding.

Shoulder patch with no padding.

Getting creative

I am an creative person, for better or worse. But when it’s coming up with creative solutions to a problem, I usually get an idea. For the patches this solution was drawstring.. or rather, the concept. I looked at the channels I had just made and noticed that they were still open on each end. I could put something inside these channels to get a more tactile effect on the patch. Eureka. I found a meter or so of cotton bias tape in an ugly colour ( there’s a lot of things in my stash that I have absolutely no idea where comes from), and used a safety pin to insert them into the channels. Luck of all luck, they fit perfectly, I must say I’m rather proud of my solution and the finished result.

 

Bias tape in the channels

Bias tape in the channels

Finished shoulder pad

Finished shoulder pad

Slow progress

After having done so I was ready to continue onto the collar and front of the jacket. I interlined the collar piece. -the pattern has a mandarin collar and the instructions only said to interface one, so I did.

 

The leather challenge

The collar is in fake leather, and the same is the the front and back facing. It’s not a walk in the park to sew, but I have found a technique that works for me. The important part is to put in a fresh needle ever so often, so not to get skipped stitches every other centimetre.

Making the story short, I have now finished sewing in the zipper (at one side -the instructions says to wait for the other part until the end. Hope I don’t loose it in the meantime.), sewing the front facings to the back facing and sewing them to the jacket.

IMG_7348

Sleeves you say?

Next is to tackle the sleeves. They are supposed to have slits on the outside, but I really, really don’t understand how to do this. Maybe I’m just stupid, but until this has been proven, I have decided that it’s all the pattern instructions fault for not having sketches in addition to info text on how to putting this garment together. So there. 😉

I will have to see how much time I can afford to use on this problem, as I have set myself a deadline for when to be finished. If it comes right down to it I might just decide to skip the slits.

I will tell you how it goes.

Please share the word if you lik my posts
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Anne Lyth

I'm a Norwegian woman in my early thirties, -married and with two children, living in Oslo -the capital of Norway. I have a BA in Art and Design from Høyskolen i Oslo, and is at current working with production in my professional life. Sewing is my all time hobby and passion. 

Leave a Reply

Specify Facebook App ID in Super Socializer > Social Login section in admin panel for Facebook Login to work

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *