Favourite trousers 2.0, doing wool

Favourite trousers 2.0, doing wool

And here it is. The first blog post in 2016, but focusing on a make from December 2015. Last year was all about selfish sewing for me. The year before that too, come to think of it. Today I want to show you my second try at the pattern made from my RTW trousers that I blogged about back in November. Favourite trousers 2.0 This time I used a dark blue wool twill, that has been in my stash for more than a year. I think I bought it on sale at Rainbow Tekstil in Oslo sometime before last winter. I have already told you about how the pattern came to be here, but I can tell you what changes I did this time around. First of all I needed more space at the waist. If you remember the fly was less than elegantly sewn the last time, showing the zipper teeth at the top. So before sewing up the pattern once again I added a few cm at the waistband and waist  to make sure I had enough space to cover the zipper properly. I also made the rise a little longer at the thigh to eliminate the pulling around the crotch. Even if it worked a bit, I think I will have to add another cm before I’m completely happy with the fit in this area. apparently I have big inner thighs. I also managed to get the grainline on the front pieces level this time, and the centre press line doesn’t twist[…]

Holiday wishes and plans for 2015

Holiday wishes and plans for 2015

The holidays are upon us and I’m enjoying the company of my family, eating until I almost fall over and generally just having a great time. I hope you have the same. Being true to my hobby I have even brought my sewing machine to my holiday. I have promised my husband that his gift this year (or at least part of it) will be two pairs of trousers. The pattern will be the Jutland pants from Thread Theory. I have already bought the fabrics and the pattern, but haven’t gotten around to the making part yet. It seems I should have wished for a new printer this Christmas, because when I tried to print out the PDF pattern my printer gave in. Oh well. I will find a way. Plans for 2015 I was hoping I would have time to make a new Christmas dress for myself this year, but no such luck. But it will be nice to have a new dress in January too. And as I have my birthday coming up in early February, you might see a blue wool Dahlia dress about this time next month. Selfless sewing It seems I have a lot of selfless sewing coming up in 2015. In addition to the two trousers I have promised my husband, and some clothes that my kids need I have also taken on sewing my cousins wedding dress. She is getting married in the end of May, and as I don’t have sewing as a full time job, it[…]

Colette patterns Moneta dress

Colette patterns Moneta dress

Have you seen the stretch fabric dress pattern Colette Patterns released earlier this year? The Moneta dress. I’m not really a big fan of PDF patterns, but somehow I just had to have this pattern. I made a jersey dress with the pattern this summer, and now I have made a winter version that will see me through the cold season. The fabric is a wool/acrylic blend from Rainbow Tekstil with small colour-full dots, almost like slub-yarn. The fabric was somewhat see-through, so I knew from the start that I would have to line it. The lining fabric I chose was a 1×1 rib wool fabric from Janus. I absolutely love the colour -a bright fuchsia colour. However, this two knitted fabrics are quite different when it comes to stretchiness. The main fabric has hardly any stretch to it at all. And the wool rib lining had maybe as much as 20 % stretchability. Oho. Combining stretch fabrics When you want to combine two fabrics with very different stretch abilities there are a few things you’ll have to remember. For one check that what you want to do is at all achievable. Then you will have to cut the most stretchy fabric smaller than the not so stretchy one. Fore me, that meant that I cut the lining approx. 2 sizes smaller than the shell. I decided not to line the sleeves, as that’s a place where see-through-ness  isn’t really a problem. I lined the body and overlocked the sleeves to both layers in one operation.[…]